Home Moving Tips
Relocating businesses and/or residences is sometimes challenging, and can create problems for movers they don’t know how to solve
Before starting the moving process, people face the temptation of doing the job themselves, only to create unexpected, and overwhelming chaos, thereby complicating the process for even the most experienced mover. But you can avoid all of that by making the best choice with Right Choice Movers!
But before you begin your relocation process, here are some moving tips, and a checklist to help you set up an organized, simple, and stress-free move.
6-8 Weeks Before Your Moving Day
- Contact Right Choice Movers to make arrangements for your move. If you need help packing, or if you require specific care for speciality/larger items, let us know! We can also provide wardrobe or packaging moving boxes at no additional cost.
- Make a list of items that you don’t want to pack until the day of the move to make sure they don’t get lost or packed accidently. (e.g. personal hygiene products, plates, forks, etc.).
- Organize your packing supplies, and create a space to store packed boxes. Specify the destination room on the top, and sides of each box.
- Contact your insurance agent(s) to update all of your insurance policies.
- Create a designated folder for moving-related expenses. If applicable, notify schools in the old and new school districts to transfer academic records, and begin the registration process.
- Collect all medical, and dental records, as well as any other important documents, and store them in a safe place.
- Change your address online, or go to your local post office.
- If necessary, schedule vacation time from work, and book a babysitter if you have young kids.
- Find the owner’s manuals for all of the appliances in your new home.
- Take an assessment of how you’ll pack, and what you’ll pack to determine how many boxes you’ll need. Begin packing. Organize what you’re taking with you, throwing away, donating, and/or selling so you can separate your items accordingly.
2-4 Weeks Before Your Moving Day
- Change your address with the companies that you interact with on a regular basis (e.g. bank, employer, creditors, etc.).
- Begin cleaning your old space.
- Organize a garage sale for the items you want to sell. If you need help packing, call Right Choice Movers anytime, and our professional packing teams can assist you. (The last week before your move can be very stressful, and it’s important to not procrastinate).
- Make sure to cancel all house maintenance appointments, and redirect any scheduled deliveries to your new address.
- Make the necessary arrangements with your utility companies for transfer of service or cancellation of service (e.g. cable, internet, electric, etc.).
Week of Move
- If you are not immediately moving to your new location, provide your movers with your contact information so they can reach you if necessary.
- Empty, defrost, and clean your refrigerator, and freezer, as well as your oven the day before you move. Use baking soda to remove any foul odors.
- Having properly marked boxes will speed up your moving process, so make sure that all boxes are appropriately labeled.
- Put together a Moving Day Bag with items you need for the trip, and the first few moments at your new home. These items include:
- Toilet Paper
- Paper towels
- Phone Charger
- If you want movers to transport any equipment that contains gasoline, empty the fuel from those items before the moving team’s arrival.
- Call Right Choice Movers one last time, and confirm any and all details. Verify our arrival time, as well as cell phone numbers, and addresses.
Day of Move
- Call Right Choice Movers with any special instructions before arrival.
- Make sure there is space for your moving team to park. Ensure there is a safe path for the moving team to walk back and forth to truck.
- Be prepared. When the movers arrive, be ready to answer any questions they may have. If you will not be available, give the person in charge as much information as possible so they can answer the mover’s questions. If possible, please be reachable via phone.
- Take a last walk through, lock all the doors/windows, and turn off the lights, as well as the thermostat.
- Enjoy your new space!
Thank you for choosing Right Choice Movers!